Gillingham cemetery was opened in 1890 and approximately 4000 people are buried here. The cemetery and it’s chapel are owned and managed by Gillingham Town Council. The chapel can hold approximately 35 people. Use of the bier is available on request.
The Garden of Remembrance, also located in Cemetery Road opened in 1861 and closed in 1954. Since then trees have been planted by families in memory of their loved ones and also from time to time ashes are scattered in the area. The area is for quiet reflection only. Please noted no dogs or ball games are allowed.
Please note the water supply in the cemetery is turned off over the winter period to avoid frozen pipes.
Gillingham Town Council has a responsibility for public safety at Gillingham Cemetery.
As unsafe memorials have been the cause of severe injury in some cemeteries the Town Council’s grounds staff have recently undergone memorial condition training with the Institute of Cemetery and Crematorium Management. The trained staff will be carrying out an inspection programme checking the condition of every memorial, which may result in unsafe memorials being laid flat to prevent damage or injury. The grave owners will be notified of the outcome as soon as possible, by way of notices on defective graves.
The registered owner of the memorial is requested to arrange for repairs to be carried out within twelve months. If the memorial is not repaired within this time, Gillingham Town Council will consider taking appropriate action. The Town Council therefore asks that memorials are not lent on or used for support. The Town Council staff working at the cemetery understands the importance and significance of the graves and memorials to remaining friends and family. Please be assured that all memorials will be treated with the utmost care and respect.